Sunday 1 April 2012

Cooma Show


Cooma Show champion ribbon

I'm a real sucker for shows. I think it stems back to my childhood when my mum and my aunty took me to the Sydney Royal Easter Show every year. I can remember spending hours trawling my way through mountains of sugary, fatty once a year treats (I still think deep fried cheese on a stick has to be one of the all time best bad foods!), looking at the animals all sleek, shiny and ready to be judged then, right at the end of the day, wandering around the gargantuan show bag hall. Through the eyes of a child, the bright plastic trinkets and lollies pinned to the display boards became immediate must-have items and luckily, mum usually gave in and obliged.

While the country shows I have stumbled across since moving west are on a much smaller scale, they still offer the chance to be a kid again even if it is just for a few hours.

Each country shows also offer a little window into the community which is hosting  it - you get to see the beady eyed stalwarts guarding the exhibitions and casting a critical eye over the entries as well as some of the talented and creative local people proudly hovering around their animals, crafts or cakes in the hope that they might get a ribbon or two.

So in the spirit of the shows, here are a few pictures from the recent Cooma Show - it fell right in the middle of some absolutely terrible weather so a lot of the exhibits were cancelled but there was still plenty to see and do. Enjoy.
Prize winning ram, Cooma Show
Floral display, Cooma Show
Champion eggs, Cooma Show
Australian Federation Guard, Cooma Show
Her Excellency, Governor General Quentin Bryce, Cooma Show
Fruit and vegetable display, Cooma Show
Champion Fleece, Cooma Show
Showbags galore! Cooma Show
Sideshow alley, Cooma Show
Tasty treats?? Cooma Show
Cooma Show
Best seat in the house, chicken snuggling on a sheep, Cooma Show
Ram, Cooma Show










No comments:

Post a Comment