Friday 7 October 2011

Kaybunda Lavender Fields, Junee, NSW

Kaybunda Lavender Fields, Junee
Kaybunda Lavender Fields is  one of those places I have heard about about but never quite gotten to. I have meant to see it since moving to Cootamundra so with the smell of Spring on the breeze, I decided it was time to hit the road and see what it was all about. The Lavender Fields are situated a short drive from Junee township and I must say I was a little bit disappointed to see that the 'fields' were more of a smallish paddock of straggly plants...BUT there is a little more to this story. 
Kaybunda Lavender Fields, Junee
Kaybunda Lavender Fields, Junee
I initially hesitated, feeling like an intruder wandering around somebody's private garden but considering the 40 minute drive I had just made, I pushed on. I'm glad I did. The truth behind the fields' lacklustre appearance is that the previous owner became ill and didn't have much time to put into the gardens. Step in a family relocating to Junee from Queensland who have taken on the venture and, it seems, are determined to make it work!
Products on display, Kaybunda Lavender Fields, Junee

Products on display, Kaybunda Lavender Fields, Junee

Dried lavender bunches, Kaybunda Lavender Fields, Junee
Three generations were there when I visited and a bunch of nicer people you could never hope to meet. I asked to see the gift shop and was pleased to see that crammed into the relatively small space, there were several dozen different types of products showcasing Kaybunda's lavender. From lavender lollies (shockingly yummy!) to pet deodorant, from dried flowers to furniture polish, bath salts, lotions and potions, all was available to try before you buy. This was a good tactic because everything was so lovely and I ended up spending up big. All the while, the new owners outlined their plans and hopes for the future of Kaybunda Lavender Fields. They are planning to provide easier access to the garden, add a pergola, expand the store and, most importantly, get the lavender back to its beautiful best.
Lavender, Kaybunda Lavender Fields, Junee
Rosemary, Kaybunda Lavender Fields, Junee
So whilst you certainly wouldn't need a whole day to see Kaybundah, if you are near Junee and looking for some lavender scented gifts (or even a little treat for yourself), really consider stopping by to support the Kaybunda Lavender Fields. With any luck, it is a place that will become bigger and better with time!


Kaybunda Lavender Fields is located at 126 Murrulebale Road, Old Junee (about a five minute drive from town).

2 comments:

  1. I am trying to find a gift for a woman who celebrates her 90th on the 13/8/16. She is addicted to lavender. Her daughter requested as a gift to buy a large quantity of dried lavender so she can make lavender bags for her mums bed. Do you have a brochure that I can persuse

    ReplyDelete